The Connexion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

One Reason To Hate Linux

+4
emmy
Thingy
JPB18
Shemuel
8 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

One Reason To Hate Linux Empty One Reason To Hate Linux

Post by Shemuel Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:38 pm

Well, I installed xubuntu on my laptop today. I asked it not to damage any existing partition, and it promised not to.

HOWEVER, it DID damage my other partiotion.
Bad news: The other partition was a came-with-laptop Vista CD, so if I wanted a new one I'd have to pay for it.
Good news: I found out the day before that the free Windows 7 CD I was eligible for was being shipped.

So now I have this Xubuntu partition. I probably won't delete it for revenge, but I'll keep it as backup and for specific tasks.

Does anyone have any particular functions on an ubuntu/linux system that they'd like to talk about?

Shemuel

Back to top Go down

One Reason To Hate Linux Empty Re: One Reason To Hate Linux

Post by JPB18 Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:03 pm

You know... maybe you comited a small mistake in the installation that comited that thing... Cause it never made that on my laptop...

Hmmm... That's nice... yes, install 7... it's one of the best OSes made by Microsoft.

And you know that you can download any Vista DVD and then put your key into it? The one below your laptop?

JPB18

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:04 pm

You're eligible for a free windows 7? Why?
Thingy
Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by JPB18 Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:08 pm

He bought a laptop in the Windows 7 Upgrade Program... mine was also in the program but... my parents didn't wanted to pay the shipment, so... they really don't trust the internet...

JPB18

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:10 pm

That's not a very good idea... When life gives you a free copy of windows 7, you take it and run, run as far as you can before life realizes it was a bad idea and tries taking it back from you.
Thingy
Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by JPB18 Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:13 pm

I'm not worried... I already have a legal windows 7, so... my school supplied new students that entered in the same course as me with it, so...

JPB18

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:15 pm

Oh. Well. Still, i want windows 7 too! But without paying for it. It's vista but much better from what i've heard.
Thingy
Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by JPB18 Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:17 pm

No it's not Vista! It's similar to Vista, and much better than Vista...

But it still doesn't reach to half the quality of a good linux distro in a good pc... Too bad almost all games I like are only for windows... Or I would be inside Linux All Day Long!

JPB18

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:21 pm

Sorry, similar to vista, but improved and now alot more shiny!

And i dont think i'd have much of a good time with linux... It sounds a little more advanced than i want my OS.
Thingy
Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by JPB18 Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:40 pm

Yes, indeed... A linux distro is more headed for safety and speed than user friendliness... The Windows OS is more aimed at user friendliness... For most people windows is the right choose... Or even Mac if you're a girl that spends most of the time surfing the web and chatting... But if you aren't experienced with pc's, forget Linux... You will spend most of the first hours making him running like you want (Drivers, Programs and other stuffs) and only after really enjoy him...

JPB18

Back to top Go down

Post by emmy Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:52 pm

well, i have to say i had no problems with drivers or anything at all... it even accepted my wireless without problems.

i have to say i love gimp nowadays, it's tools are actually better looking and easier to use than Adobe CS4. i still hate having to search for my tool windows though.

i should reinstall linux in the holidays... it's getting bad now because i did the install on the smallest partition possible so i can't update anymore, and due to the small swap space i can't handle pics as large as 2.4GB in gimp. :S
emmy
emmy

Back to top Go down

Post by JPB18 Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:58 pm

Wow! Pretty big pics indeed! That is almost movie sized!

JPB18

Back to top Go down

Post by emmy Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:07 pm

oh, it's only about 20000X30000 px or so... though one shortcomic of that is that my 2000px brush is WAY to small to clean up something very fast.
emmy
emmy

Back to top Go down

Post by JPB18 Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:12 pm

Ok...

But back on topic:

There are as many reasons to love linux and hate windows and vice-versa... and they're all the same... The same reasons to hate linux are the same to love windows, and so the same reasons to love linux are the same to hate windows, so... They're both good systems, but are very diferent ones... Linux is aimed only to a community, while Windows is aimed to everyone...

JPB18

Back to top Go down

Post by Reaper(KF) Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:28 pm

And macs are aimed at artists.
Reaper(KF)
Reaper(KF)

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:52 am

emmy wrote:
i have to say i love gimp nowadays, it's tools are actually better looking and easier to use than Adobe CS4.

i hope you are kidding me, you are kidding right? I hate Gimp with a passion, Gimp has the power of an ant trying to build a skyscraper. Adobe is soo much easier to use, functionaly makes more sense as the windows actually stay in one place. the only downfall of adobe is the price, but even still, i only use Gimp to resize pics and crop them on my laptop cause i don't have photoshop. if i had photoshop, i would gladly amuse myself by burning Gimp at the stake.
Darkwing
Darkwing
Admin

https://connexion.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by darkjedi Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:41 am

True, Photoshop is much better than gimp.

But, one thing that you don't know is that the interface is way different on the Linux version.

If only adobe would make their products for Linux.... Either that, or the wine project would have to double in their community base, and get a billion more reverse engineers.
darkjedi
darkjedi

Back to top Go down

Post by Shemuel Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:10 am

Well I worked out that I'm having trouble with my wireless connection. Thanks to the good ol' ethernet cable, Ic an install updates now! Yay!

Yeah, as JPB said, Linux isn't better than Windows, just different. If 7 is good as far as a Windows distro is concerned, I may use it for the fact that will know what the hell I'm talking about Razz There's one other guy in my school who's heard of linux, and he doesn't know anything about it.

Shemuel

Back to top Go down

Post by JPB18 Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:16 am

LOL... Now you can call them "Computer Iliterates"...

Can you get the Windows 2000/XP wireless drivers and a program called ndiswrapper? It makes those drivers compatible with the linux arquitecture...

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/ndiswrapper/index.php?joomla/index.php

Last edited by JPB18 on Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:17 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : more adequate link)

JPB18

Back to top Go down

Post by Shemuel Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:48 am

Well, the wireless connection works, but fails me when downloading updates. When attached via ethernet, it works fine. I'll need to work this one out at my end, probably

Shemuel

Back to top Go down

Post by JPB18 Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:56 am

does it appears any error message?

If it does which is?

JPB18

Back to top Go down

Post by emmy Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:01 am

Darkwing wrote:
emmy wrote:
i have to say i love gimp nowadays, it's tools are actually better looking and easier to use than Adobe CS4.

i hope you are kidding me, you are kidding right?

no. i am not. yes, searching for your toolboxes can be a pain in the arse, but for an example, even with a lousy .jpg format, the levels tools of gimp are from a completely different planet altogether when compared to Adobe. In adobe pics can get blocky REALLY fast if you turn up the contrast by more than 10.

also, it's probably also caused by the fact that i'm using Gimp on it's intended OS, which runs more smoothly, but mostly because i'm running it completely alone on one of the desktops.

darkjedi wrote:But, one thing that you don't know is that the interface is way different on the Linux version.
QFT

JPB18 wrote:Can you get the Windows 2000/XP wireless drivers and a program called ndiswrapper? It makes those drivers compatible with the linux arquitecture...[/url]
isn't ndiswrapper standard nowadays? it sure as hell came standard with my ubuntu. in fact, it's kernel stuff.

Reaper(KF) wrote:And macs are aimed at artists.
not completely true. most mac users nowadays are wannabes that make emos look like they're cool.
emmy
emmy

Back to top Go down

Post by JPB18 Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:06 am

Yes it's true... but in reallity macs are aimed for artists, because it comes with tools like iMovie, the Adobe tools work better on mac pc's and most of it is aimed at graphic (not games graphics, but artist graphics...)

JPB18

Back to top Go down

Post by emmy Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:10 am

actually, macs seem to be pretty good gaming machines too nowadays... in fact, even a macbook has a better GPU than my pc. (Mostly because mine has none)
emmy
emmy

Back to top Go down

Post by JPB18 Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:20 am

So, your pc is using an Intel Graphics Acelerator? LoL...

Yes it is, but... there are few games compatible with MacOS (more than on Linux, still) and the BootCamp is too small for it...

JPB18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next